MSgt to Pvt - PMOS
MOS 0231, Intelligence Specialist is an entry level primary MOS. Intelligence Specialists are familiar with all phases and facets of intelligence operations. Typical duties of Intelligence Specialists involve the collection, recording, analysis, processing, and dissemination of information/intelligence. The Intelligence Specialist, depending on his/her rank, may supervise intelligence sections of commands up to and including MEF. A percentage of 0231s will undergo foreign language training. Qualified Marines may fill billets that require foreign language skills to conduct interpretation/translation activities and to exploit foreign language documents and recordings. DoD has stated a career goal for professional linguists of achieving Interagency Language Roundtable General Professional Proficiency (level-3) in those modalities (listening, reading, and/or speaking) required to perform his or her primary function. Linguists are encouraged to take advantage of language training events in order to achieve this goal. This MOS will be assigned and voided only by the CMC (MM).
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must possess a GT score of 100 or higher.
- Must be eligible for a top-secret security clearance and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information based on a completed Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI). Applications for the SSBI must be submitted prior to attendance of the Intelligence Specialist Course at NMITC, Dam Neck, VA.
- Must have 24 months obligated service remaining upon graduation from the MOS producing school.
- Prior to conducting the lateral move interview, all applicants are required to complete a screening with a Special Security Officer (SSO) to determine TS/SCI eligibility.
- Lateral move Marines must be Corporal (Maximum 12 months TIG) or below, (waiverable by MMEA) of any MOS.
- Prior to entry into DLI, Marines must have sufficient obligated service to allow 24 months remaining upon graduation.
- Complete the MAGTF Intelligence Specialist Entry Course, Navy Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center (NMITC), Dam Neck, VA.
- Selected Marine Corps Reservists without previous active duty intelligence experience who successfully complete Phases I and II of the MAGTF Intelligence Specialist Reserve Course, NMITC, Dam Neck, VA, will be awarded MOS 0231 as an additional MOS only. SMCR Marines holding additional MOS 0231 may receive primary MOS 0231 after serving 3 years in the billet MOS unless sooner waived by CMC (DirInt).
- All Marines requesting a lateral move into the MOS 0231, USMC and USMCR, must have a screening interview conducted by a 0231 GySgt or above. Interview waivers can be granted only by the OccFld 02 manager or CMC MM).
- Marines who execute a latmove to the 0231 MOS must attend PMOS training within 6 months of reporting to a command offering on-the-job training (OJT). Failure to attend and pass MOS training will result in an MOS reclassification or separation per current MMEA guidelines and applicable MCOs (may be waived by IOP and MMEA). SMCR Marines who execute a latmove to 0231 MOS must attend PMOS training within 12 months of reporting to a command offering OJT.
- For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC 3500.100A w/ch1, Intelligence Training and Readiness Manual.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- Military Enlisted Tactical Operations and Air/Weapons Specialists and Crew Members, All Other 55-3019.
Related Military Skill: