Critical Skills Operator
MGySgt to Sgt - PMOS
Critical Skills Operators (CSO) are Marines trained to execute missions in the Special Operations Core Tasks of Foreign Internal Defense (FID), Direct Action (DA), Special Reconnaissance (SR) and Counter-Terrorism (CT), the Secondary Core Task of Information Operations (IO) and tasks in Support of Unconventional Warfare (UW) as part of the Marine Corps component to USSOCOM. CSO Marines possess high levels of maturity, experience, judgment and the ability to rapidly apply critical thought to operational objectives. They are able to quickly achieve a commander's intent through mission orders and the effective application of these traits. They succeed in the face of adversity by being able to make the right decision, at the right place, and at the right time. CSO Marines are teamoriented, but are trained and ready to function as individuals and as members of an element, team, company, battalion or regiment. They are capable of operations across the entire spectrum of Special Operations, from employment in isolated and austere locales with little-to-no conventional support to operations as fully integrated units in a Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force (CJSOTF) or other Joint task organized configurations. To facilitate this, CSOs are also intensively trained as a Subject Matter Expert in advanced communications, engineering, special weapons, intelligence, and advanced special operations, depending on their billet in the MSOT. CSOs operate as cross-cultural diplomats and global scouts, with the unique ability to exert influence in areas and situations that are absent authority. They may also posses advanced language capabilities and cultural familiarity, and are adept at working by, with and through partner nation forces in pursuit of strategic goals and objectives. CSO's possess a naval expeditionary character, and as such provides maximum versatility for Geographical Combatant Commanders. MARSOF Marines are capable of rapid integration and interoperability with the joint force.
- Must be a U.S Citizen.
- Must possess a GT score of 105 or higher.
- Must have a minimum current PFT score of 225 (regardless of age).
- Must be a male.
- Must be a volunteer in the grade of Corporal through Staff Sergeant in any MOS.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years in service and no more than 17 years in service.
- No derogatory Page 11 entries within the last 12 months.
- No NJPs within the last 12 months and with no more than two NJPs during the current contract.
- No NJPs as a SNCO.
- No courts martial convictions.
- No incidents with drug use or possession while in service.
- No adverse fitness reports within the last 12 months.
- Must have minimum interim secret security clearance based on National Agency check, Law Enforcement and Credit check (NACLC).
- Candidates must meet a MARSOC medical screening criterion (completed Naval Special Warfare/Special Operator (NSW/SO) physical) prior to reporting to A&S. This includes a Report of Medical History (DD Form 2807-1) and a Report of Medical Examination (DD Form 2808). The completed NSW/SO physical MUST be reviewed and countersigned by an Undersea Medical Officer prior to checking into Marine Special Operations School. Because of limitations in time and resources, students with incomplete medical documentation will be medically dropped from the course and returned to their parent commands.
- All Marines, regardless of MOS, must successfully complete Assessment & Selection (A&S), Individual Training Course (ITC) and must request and be granted a lateral move to the 0372 MOS. COMMARFORSOC is the awarding authority for PMOS 0372.
- For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC 3500.97, Marine Special Operations Command Training and Readiness Manual.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- Special Forces 55-3018.
Related Military Skill:
- Rifleman, 0311.
- Combat Rubber Recon Craft Coxswain, 0316.
- Scout Sniper, 0317.
- Reconnaissance Man, 0321.
- Machine Gunner, 0331.
- Mortarman, 0341
- Infantry Assaultman, 0351.
- Infantry Unit Leader, 0369.
- Parachutist, MOS 8023.
- Parachutist/Combatant Diver Marine, MOS 8026.