MGySgt to GySgt - PMOS
Utilities Chiefs are technical advisers to the commander at all levels of all elements of the various MAGTFs on the employment of utilities support. These Staff Noncommissioned Officers analyze, translate, and execute commanders' operational requirements into a utilities support reality that enhances mission accomplishment. They plan and supervise the establishment, operation, and maintenance of water purification, storage, and distribution sites; electric power generating sites along with the inherent underground, above ground, overhead and tactical electric power distribution systems; and shower and laundry services. They coordinate and supervise the installation, maintenance and repair of heating, air conditioning (to include automotive), and refrigeration equipment; and the maintenance and repair of the electrical systems on engineer and general supply equipment. Water quality assurance, field sanitation, sewage, and waste disposal is also planned, coordinated, and supervised. When deployed in support of Humanitarian Assistance and Civil Military Operations, these chiefs also plan, and coordinate the installation and repair of plumbing and indoor electrical wiring. This MOS is technical in nature and requires years of experience to become proficient. Due to the diversity of commands throughout the Marine Corps, some of the duties and tasks performed by the Utilities Chief may overlap with those of the Engineer Equipment Chief, Motor Transport Maintenance Chief, and Motor Transport Operations Chief. Additional duties may include: formal schools faculty, MAGTF staff planning, new equipment/ systems research and development, and new systems acquisition. This MOS will only be assigned to graduates of the resident Utilities Chief Course.
- Must hold MOS 1141, 1142, 1161, or 1171.
- Must complete the resident Utilities Chief Course (M0311E2), Marine Corps Engineer School, Camp Lejeune, NC, in order to receive MOS 1169.
- For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC 3500.12B w/Ch1-2, Marine Corps Engineer and Utilities Training and Readiness Manual.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Mechanics, Installers and Repairers 49-1011.
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers 47-1011.
Related Military Skill: