Contingency Contract Specialist
MGySgt to Sgt - PMOS
MOS 3044 is a lateral move MOS that integrates highly qualified Enlisted Marines into the acquisition field whose mission is to deploy in support of contingency operations and other operations of the Department of Defense. Marines are selected to serve in this MOS from a Contingency Contracting Specialist Selection Board. Marines will submit an application for approval to lateral move into MOS. Board convening shall be published via MARADMIN. Marines selected to serve in this MOS are part of the Defense Acquisition Workforce governed by DODI 5000.66. Every 3044 billet in the Marine Corps is a part of the Contingency Contracting Force (CCF), within the Acquisition Workforce for the Department of Defense in accordance with United States Code, Title 10, Section 1724(f). These policies mandate required fundamental training standards for the CCF across the Department of Defense. A Contingency Contracting Specialist is equipped with the contracting fundamentals required to procure necessary supplies and services for operations, exercises, contingencies, natural disasters, foreign training events, garrison environments, and advise senior leaders in business solutions and concepts. The supplies and services are sought in accordance with governing regulations, orders and directives, from a variety of venues; i.e. commercial markets, host nation markets, or other government agencies. Marines in this MOS must have the ability to communicate effectively to interact with other branches of the DoD, civilian and military workforces, the commercial sector, host nations and their workforces. Overall, Marines are expected to be able to operate independently, self-manage work-loads and maintaining Marine Corps training requirements and commitments.
- Must possess a GT score of 110 or higher.
- Must be screened and approved by a Contingency Contracting Specialists Selection Board.
- Must be a Sergeant with 1 year or less time-in-grade. Grades above or below the rank of Sergeant are not waived.
- No convictions by court-martial, civilian courts, or nonjudicial punishment of any act involving larceny, fraud, or theft.
- Must have a minimum of 36 months of obligated service upon completion of OJT and assignment of MOS 3044. Marines must request an extension of obligated service in order to comply.
- Must be able to use the Marine Corps standard office software suite, and basic office machines.
- Security Requirement: Secret security clearance eligibility.
- When Marines lateral move into the MOS 3044 they will be initially assigned MOS 3000 for on-the-job (OJT) training period with an intended MOS of 3044 while awaiting training. After successful completion of Marine Corps Contingency Contracting Specialist Level I course at MCSSS, Camp Johnson, these Marines shall be assigned MOS 3044. As previously mentioned, MOS 3044 Marines fill professional acquisition billets governed by DODI 5000.66, which outline the required training for personnel serving in Government Acquisition billets. By this order, the Marine Corps has further outlined the required training for accreditation as appropriate to the military rank structure. The Defense Acquisition University (DAU) is the agency mandated to provide the required professional education to all government agencies.
- Marines without business college credit hours or without college credit hours may be waived a maximum of 3 GT score points.
- Requirements for continued qualification and progression are:
- Must maintain Secret security clearance eligibility.
- All CCF Marines will be screened to ensure that all DAWIA training standards for their grade/position are maintained.
- All CCF Marines are required to complete 24 semester credit hours of business related college courses within two years of attaining the 3044 MOS.
- For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC 3500.64A, Supply Administration and Operations Training and Readiness Manual.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- Contract Specialist 162.117-018.
- Buyer 162.157-018.
- Purchasing Agent 162.157-038.
- Procurement Services Manager 162.167-022.
- Contracts Manager 163.117-010.
- Contract Administrator 162.177-014.
Related Military Skill:
- Supply Administrations and Operations clerk.
- Aviation Supply Administrations and Operations clerk.
- Supply Warehouse clerk.