Legal Services Specialist
MGySgt to Pvt - PMOS
The Legal Services Specialist MOS encompasses every facet of legal administration. General duties involve the legal operational, managerial, clerical and administrative duties incident to an LSSS, LSST, or OSJA. Typical duties include research, preparation and typing of general correspondence, forms, reports, wills, powers of attorney, and other documents dealing with legal and quasi-legal matters; checking all completed work for typographic accuracy; maintaining office correspondence files, directives and publications; if senior in grade, will act as the Legal Services Chief and Senior Enlisted Advisor directly responsible to the OIC/ SJA for the overall assignment, performance, training, counseling, morale, discipline and welfare of all enlisted personnel. The Legal Services Chief is the active liaison between the command dealing with enlisted policy and duty assignments and advisor to the judge advocates with regard to enlisted instruction and supervision. Selected Marines may attend follow-on training at the Legal Services Court Reporter Course.
- Must have a GT score of 105 waiverable to 102 and a CL score of 110 not waiverable.
- Must have received no NJPs or been convicted by courts-martial or civilian court for any offense involving controlled substances, nor convicted by courts-martial or civilian court for any offense involving moral turpitude.
- Must be a high school graduate or have obtained a GED.
- Marines requesting lateral move must meet the prerequisites for PMOS 4421 and NMOS 4422.
- Must be U.S. Citizen.
- Marines assigned to OccFld 44 through recruit accession or lateral move are required to attend the formal Legal Services Specialist Course (N0558X1) at Naval Justice School, Naval Station, Newport, RI. Upon completion of this course, MOS 4421 is assigned. MOJT for MOS 4421 not authorized.
- Demonstrate a typing proficiency of 25 words per minute and complete that Legal Services Specialist Course (N0558X1).
- For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC 3500.82 w/ch1, Legal Services Training and Readiness Manual.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- Law Clerks 23-2092.
- Legal Secretaries 43-6012.
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants 23-2011.
Related Military Skill:
- Administrative Specialists, 0111.