MGySgt to Sgt - PMOS
The Career Planner must be thoroughly familiar with the reenlistment process from prospecting to reenlistment ceremonies. They work within Marine Corps units, primarily as the Commander's advisor for enlisted retention matters. Typical functions of a Career Retention Specialist include preliminary screening and administrative processing, scheduling, and conducting interviews, completion of reenlistment/lateral move/extension documents, and maintaining accurate records. They also provide Marine Corps units with basic individual career counseling, and fundamental Manpower PME and briefings. This MOS will be assigned and voided only by the authority of the CMC (MM).
- Must possess a GT score of 100 or higher.
- Must meet the prerequisites prescribed in MCO 1040.31.
- Complete Career Planner Course.
- Coordinates with the Commander and Sergeant Major a plan to meet retention goals.
- Maintains reports required for systematic retention.
- Canvasses unit population to achieve maximum contact.
- Counsels Marines concerning career progression, retention, special duty assignments and incentives.
- Prepares and maintains career planning requests and records.
- Screens each Marine to determine eligibility relative to reenlistment, lateral moves, and special duty assignments IAW established orders and directives.
- Coordinates required tests, interviews, and physicals for lateral move candidates.
- Prepares all other required retention documents.
- Coordinates all reenlistment ceremonies.
- Coordinates with the Commander and Sergeant Major to conduct various Manpower briefs, to include: retention, lateral moves, First Term Alignment Plan (FTAP) assignments, special duty assignments (SDAs), promotions, separations and retirements, BCNR requests and process, and PERB actions.
- May conduct Unit Transition Counselor (UTC) responsibilities to include reserve contracts, PSEP/continuous reenlistments, and SBP.
- Advises Marines on Marine Corps education opportunities.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists 13-1071.
Related Military Skill:
- Recruiter, 8411.