MGySgt to Pvt - PMOS
Musicians perform musical instruments in a Marine Corps Band in concerts, parades, band drills, and various other official functions and ceremonies. They also perform other additional duties as required, such as, band supply or administrative assistant, music librarian, and conduct preventative maintenance for musical equipment. Upon reaching the rank of Master Sergeant, Musicians not holding the NMOS 5523 assume the role of Bandmaster Musical Section Leaders, and assist with the supervision and training of Musicians within the section. Additionally, upon reaching the rank of Master Sergeant, they assume the role of Bandmaster and serve as Senior Enlisted Marine. Bandmasters plan, schedule, and are responsible for the operation and training of the band in garrison and in the field. They evaluate the technical proficiency of Musicians and counsel subordinate Musicians to improve the general effectiveness of the band.
- Bandmasters (MGySgt-MSgt): Must possess knowledge of procedures, directives, and regulations applicable to Marine Corps Bands.
- Bandmasters (MGySgt-MSgt): Must be a graduate of the Music Unit Leader Course, at the School of Music, Norfolk, VA.
- Must be auditioned, or technically evaluated and found musically qualified, by the musical technical assistant, band officer, or senior enlisted Marine authorized to conduct auditions. No specific level of education is required other than that specified by existing Marine Corps enlistment requirements.
- MOS 5524 is assigned upon completing the Basic Music Course, Norfolk, VA, or upon demonstrating satisfactory performance during MOJT.
- Must meet the minimum instrumental proficiency level.
- SNCO - 3.0 (Grade V Music).
- Sgt - 2.9 (Grade IV Music).
- Cpl - 2.8 (Grade IV Music).
- LCpl to Pvt - 2.7 (Grade IV Music).
- For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to NAVMC 3500.28A, Music Training and Readiness Manual.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- Musicians and Singers 27-2042.
Related Military Skill:
- Member, "The President's Own," U.S. Marine Band, 5511.
- Member, "The Commandant's Own," U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, 5512.