Aviation Ordnance Chief
MGySgt to GySgt - PMOS
The Aviation Ordnance Chief supervises the establishment and functions of aviation ordnance activities. The Aviation Ordnance Chief assists the Aviation Ordnance Officer with the daily planning, conduct, and execution of the ordnance section, division, or department. They also serve as Staff Action Officers at the MARFOR, MEF, and Wing levels, as well as select Naval and Joint Aviation Logistics/Acquisition Billets.
- Security requirement: Secret security clearance eligibility. (certain key billets require Top Secret security clearance eligibility).
- Must meet the medical requirements for Explosives Handlers and Explosives Vehicle Operators contained in NAVMED P-117, Article 15-107.
- Upon promotion to the rank of Gunnery Sergeant, is required to attend and successfully complete the Aviation Ordnance Officer Career Progression Course, Level 1 (N42G3N3) at NAS Whiting Field, FL.
- Marines who handle explosives must meet the criteria to be qualified and certified as per MCO 8023.3B.
- Upon promotion to the rank of Master Sergeant, should attend and successfully complete the Aviation Ordnance Logistics Managers Career Progression Level II Training Course (N42G4N3) at NAS Whiting Field, FL.
- Upon promotion to the rank of Master Gunnery Sergeant, should attend and successfully complete the Aviation Ordnance Managers Career Progression Level III Training Course (formerly Aviation Ordnance Officer Career Progression (AOOCP)), (N42G4M3) at NAS Whiting Field, FL.
- Assists the aviation ordnance officer in managing the activities of aviation ordnance personnel in their duties and tasks.
- Continues supporting the enlisted Marines, 6502 Warrant Officers and Limited Duty Officers to reinforce the officer/enlisted team by providing leadership, instruction, training and mentorship in all matters pertaining to Aviation Ordnance, career progression and core values.
- Prepares orders, naval messages, instructions and SOPs, and safety precautions.
- Provides subject matters expertise in planning and implementing aviation ordnance functions.
- Provides authoritative representation and advocacy on joint/ service staffs for aviation ordnance logistics and acquisition support.
- Manages and monitors all matters pertaining to weapons, maintenance, support equipment, and aircraft type/model/series within your purview.
- At the Master Gunnery Sergeant level, functions as the Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron and Marine Air Group Ordnance Chief simultaneously.
- At the Master Gunnery Sergeant level plays an integral part in overall MOS manpower management. Key billet holders at the Wing/MARFORs will act as voting board members on the enlisted Executive Steering Committee in regards to slating Master Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant Billets.
Related SOC Classification/SOC Code:
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers 49-1011.
Related Military Skill: